Medical, health and life sciences commercial lawyer, licensed to practice in Australia and the US.
Meghan is one of the few lawyers in Australia admitted in the State (Victoria) and Federal jurisdictions of Australia, and as an Attorney at Law to the New York State Bar in the United States. Meghan is qualified to advise on Australian and American law within Australia and internationally.
With over 13 years of experience in practice, Meghan is a Principal Lawyer at Burke & Associates Lawyers and Director of the Law Institute of Victoria.
She practices predominantly in commercial and business disputes (litigation and alternative dispute resolution); corporate, commercial and business law; and estates, with particular focus in assisting professionals and small and medium business in the medical, health and sciences industries.
Specifically, Meghan is skilled to advise in:
- corporate, commercial and business law including contracts, compliance, medical technology, information technology, privacy, intellectual property (inventions, protection, development, licensing), business acquisitions and disposals (development, growth, sale, purchase, partnerships), strategic development, employment and due diligence
- commercial, property, building, construction and estate disputes (litigation, arbitration, mediation and other alternative dispute resolution)
- wills and estates (planning, succession, asset protection)
- commercial leasing and licensing
Meghan’s clients are located in and around Melbourne, Australia-wide and internationally. She is known for bringing her clients a holistic approach, advising with excellence across key areas:
- high level skills under pressure;
- lateral thinking and problem solving;
- comprehensive strategic advice;
- care for her clients;
- strength in negotiation and advocating for her clients; and
- skills in achieving outcomes and solutions.
Meghan’s keen interest in charitable and social responsibility include her time on the non-profit charitable Boards of Sumba Foundation Australia and the Indigenous Education Foundation. She has also been integral in the establishment and governance of a number of inspiring health promotion charities such as the Leila Rose Foundation, Beam Kids and SandPiper Australia.
Meghan is a regular contributor to the Australian Association of Practice Management's (AAPM) Quarterly Magazine.
Outside of the law, you will find her seeing the world, and training in CrossFit and Muay Thai kickboxing.
Some key litigation highlights of Meghan’s career to date include:
- Action against GlaxoSmithKline for its alleged lack of support for Biota's Relenza flu treatment. - Biota Holdings Ltd v GlaxoSmithKline,Supreme Court of Victoria (2008)
- Acted for the successful parties in actions (31 proceedings) which included oppression under the Corporations Act - Shareholders and unitholders locked in a deadlocked group of companies and trusts. - Vigliaroni & Ors v CPS Investment Holdings Pty Ltd & Ors  VSC 428
- Confirmed that the “ultimate consumer” test is part of the test of whether a premises is retail premises under the Retail Leases Act 2003 (Vic). - IMCC Group (Australia) Pty Ltd v CB Cold Storage Pty Ltd  VSCA 178
- United States Federal District Court : Action in breach of contract, and intellectual property / medical technology licensing and development (2015 to 2017)
- Administrative law action relating to the Government’s smoking bans in Thomas Embling Hospital - De Bruyn v Victorian Institute of Forensic Mental Health & Victorian Attorney General (Victorian Supreme Court) 2016
- Project work on proposed establishment of a United States REIT (real estate investment trust) fund including due diligence (New York and New Jersey) and international tax considerations with co-counsel in New York in 2012.
- Acted for the successful party in unlawful termination claim brought against employer. - Shane Beggs v. Login Systems Pty Ltd, Federal Court of Australia (2013)
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Melbourne
- Bachelor of Business (Financial Planning), RMIT
- United States Attorney at Law (New York State Bar)
- Graduate, Australian Institute of Company Directors – Company Directors' Course
- Admitted to practice as an Australian legal practitioner in Victorian State and Australian Federal jurisdictions
- Admitted to practice as an Attorney at Law to the New York State Bar in the United States of America (Passed the Multistate Bar Exam adopted in 33 jurisdictions)
- Member of the Law Institute of Victoria
- Member of the Property Law Group, Legal Practice Section of the Law Council of Australia
- Member of the Southern Solicitors Law Association
- Member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Certificate, Australian Aid International - Introduction to Humanitarian Operations
Publications And Papers
Paper submitted in Children Rights & The Law (University of Melbourne) short listed for publication in Children's Rights Law Journal