Our property lawyers consider it our mission to understand our client’s business and goals and to meet their objectives in a timely and cost effective manner.
Our planning team of property lawyers advise on the current status of the law and legal processes to assist with a client’s decision to acquire or change the use of an existing development or to proceed with a proposed development. Our legal services extend to advising on your development’s continuing compliance with legal obligations under planning and associated legislation, conditions on planning permits and the terms of any land use agreement.
What do Property Lawyers do?
Property lawyers have specific expertise to provide advice and help clients in all aspects of property and property development related issues including planning.
Practical, commercial and strategic advice
Our property lawyers provide our clients with practical, commercial and strategic advice. Our legal advice is technically correct in the context of the complex suite of planning and associated legislation and permit processes. Our planning team of property lawyers are experienced to assist with all facets of planning, property and related legal issues affecting your matter.
Planning and property expertise
Our property and planning lawyers work together on development projects to provide legal due diligence, ensure the seamless and timely authorisation and establishment of our client’s developments, conduct the effective appeal of any decision of an approving authority and to advise on continuing compliance.
Our property lawyers have the experience and expertise to assist our clients with:
- Due diligence regarding proposed or existing developments (including medical, childcare and veterinary facilities, low and high rise residential and mixed-use developments, industrial developments).
- Assisting the permit application process including liaising with Councils and statutory authorities
- Representing clients (developers, objectors, Councils, referral authorities) in applications to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT), the Heritage Council and to the Supreme Court, Victoria
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating land use agreements under section 173 of the Planning and Environment Act (Vic) 1987 (P & E Act)
- Regulatory compliance
- Statutory interpretation (particularly planning scheme controls)
- Interpretation of restrictive covenants
- Advice on issues arising under the P&E Act and relevant planning schemes, for example existing use rights, public open space provision, potentially contaminated land, developer and infrastructure contributions
- Amending planning permits, planning schemes and restrictive covenants
- Land access under specific legislative regimes
- Heritage issues arising under both local planning schemes and state legislation
- Aboriginal cultural heritage
Planning and associated issues
Our property lawyers and planning practice offers legal advice and representation at all stages of the lifecycle of property development. It extends to the provision of advice on the operation of regulatory regimes governing the use and development of land including:
- native title
- land access and compulsory acquisition
Our range of property related clients
Our property lawyers act for clients on a range of developments and proposals including, commercial, residential, subdivision, agricultural and industrial developments.
We act for medical and allied health professionals in establishing their practices.
Our clients include corporate and individual developers, financiers, investors and superannuation funds. In addition we have demonstrated experience acting for both metropolitan and regional Councils in advisory work and representation in litigious and transactional matters.
Our Property & Property development lawyers have extensive experience in dealing with all aspects of property, real estate and property development law. Our team of property lawyers, including an accredited specialist have assisted many clients with their property development planning needs.
If you have any questions regarding planning for your property development or would like to find out how our property lawyers can assist you with planning advice, please don’t hesitate to contact our office on +61 3 9822 8588.