Divorce is the legal ending of a marriage. It is a separate and independent application, not related to children or property matters. We can assist you in the process from preparing the application through to representation at Court if required.
You can apply to the Family Court for a divorce either jointly with your spouse or on your own.
Some Divorce applications are more complex than others, depending upon previous Family Court matters, children, length of relationship, other Court orders etc. We have the expertise necessary to achieve a successful outcome for you.
You can apply for a divorce in Australia if either you or your spouse regard Australia as your home and intend to live in Australia indefinitely and you are an Australian citizen by birth, descent or by grant of Australia citizenship or ordinarily live in Australia and have done so for 12 months immediately before filing for divorce.
You will need to satisfy the court that you and your spouse have lived separately for at least 12 months and that there is no likelihood of resuming your relationship.
How can we help you?
- We can provide advice in relation to an Application for Divorce
- What happens if you do not know where your spouse is and any further documentation which may be required if this is the case
- Substituted service of an Application for Divorce
- Advise in relation to an overseas marriage
- A short duration marriage
- Same sex marriage
- Preparation and filing of the Divorce Application
- Representation at Court if required