It is not easy (or cost-effective) finding a lawyer who already understands your professional life and industry, the demands on you in innovation and practice, including your business environment and values.
Whether you are in biotechnology, life sciences, or research and development, or perhaps a business director or owner, we have the expertise to assist you in the many personal and professional challenges you face. Importantly, we also plan, prevent, and manage with you to ensure success and growth in your profession and business.
We work with our clients in the life sciences, providing advice to innovative medical and health, pharmaceutical, and device and biotechnology companies and investors at every stage of a product's research, development, marketing, and commercialisation life cycle—from intellectual property protection to commercial transactions to mergers and acquisitions.
We act for medical, health, and life sciences industry clients around the world, including professionals, academics, scientists, practices, surgeries, and corporates on a wide variety of regulatory, transactional, and dispute matters.
Our focus is on supporting and building strong, long-term trusted advisory relationships that our clients find ultimately more beneficial and rewarding than one-off transactional engagements.
We understand that our clients are time poor. We know that our clients' professions are demanding, so we tailor our legal services accordingly. We are available to advise before, during or after busy professional days.
Our advice is timely, clear, succinct, and in comprehensive terms. In instructing us, our clients have the peace of mind that professional fees are agreed at the outset, so there are no surprises.
Our firm is structured so that we manage legal projects and services with our clients in a way that delivers efficient, innovative, and effective outcomes.
In addition to being there when things go wrong, we focus on conflict prevention and best industry practice. We understand that it is hard to think about the future, but it’s worse if you haven’t. Having robust but straightforward agreements, procedures, and plans in place from the outset prevent disputes and unnecessary costs down the track.
Our team are experienced and act in all Australian state jurisdictions, the Federal Court of Australia, High Court of Australia, and internationally, in the United States of America.
Our life healthcare, medical (including device), pharmaceuticals, and life sciences litigators have extensive trial experience both in Australia and the US, together with their valuable advantage of industry knowledge to skilfully handle disputes at the local, national, and international level.
Our global capability, network, and partnerships allow us to successfully handle domestic and cross-border disputes and transactions worldwide, assisting you to build bridges and effectively navigate this difficult landscape.
Our principal lawyer and head of our Medical and Health Professionals and Practices Team, Meghan Warren, is admitted to practice as an Australian legal practitioner in addition to an Attorney at Law to the New York State Bar in the United States.
Life sciences experience to assist and support professionals and businesses in their many challenges
- Business and commercial (mergers, acquisitions, structure, growth, due diligence, development, corporate, consumers, retail, and contracts)
- Property and property development
- Leasing of land, goods, or other property
- Employment and HR
- Privacy, data, consents, and health records
- Intellectual property (advice, licensing, protection, registration)
- Medical technology
- Regulatory compliance: Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), tax (including audits)
- Internal and external disputes (resolution, arbitration, and litigation)
- Conflict avoidance measures
- Debt recovery
- Succession and estate planning (wills, powers of attorney, and advance care directives)
- Building and construction (including disputes)
- Deceased estates
- Equity and trusts
- Policies, procedures and manuals
- Project management
- Risk mitigation and management strategies
- Strategic and business planning, review, and management
- Eligibility and application for government grants