Steve was admitted as a solicitor to the Supreme Court of Victoria and High Court of Australia in 2012. He predominantly practices in commercial litigation, general commercial and property law. He has acted for a variety of clients, including property developers, business owners, aged care providers, lenders, insolvency practitioners, landlords and tenants with commercial and retail leasing matters.
Steve brings a distinct approach in assisting his clients with their commercial needs and has developed a strong reputation for providing outcome driven solutions to his clients. He regularly advises on business structures, business sales and purchases, partnerships, joint ventures, terms and conditions of trade and shareholder/unitholder agreements.
Steve has a special interest in dispute resolution. He is known for his attention to detail, technical ability and advocacy skills. Steve often assists clients to avoid litigation, but if litigation is inevitable, he is an experienced advocate and litigator.
Before joining Burke & Associates, Steve worked in a full-service commercial law firm where he acted and appeared on behalf of clients in all Victorian jurisdictions including the Federal Court of Australia, Federal Circuit Court of Australia, Administrative Appeals Tribunal and the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.
He also gained valuable experience in building and construction matters, claims involving contractual and workplace disputes, misleading and deceptive conduct, estate planning and estate litigation, including testator family maintenance claims, guardianship and administration. He has also regularly appeared in corporate insolvency and bankruptcy matters that involve applications to set aside statutory demands/bankruptcy notices, winding up applications/creditor’s petitions, and related hearings.
Steve is also committed to his community, having previously worked on a pro bono basis for many not-for-profit organisations, charity and religious institutions. He has also acted in an ‘in-house counsel’ role providing employment advice and solutions to many small, medium and large multi-national companies.
- Reasonda v Mardel Developments (Aust) Pty Ltd (Building and Property)  VCAT 231 (2 March 2015) – Acted for a property owner in successfully bringing a claim against a registered building practitioner for breach of warranties under the Domestic Building Contracts Act.
- Popescu v A & B Castle Pty Ltd  VSC 175 (15 April 2016) – Acted for a Plaintiff in the Supreme Court of Victoria to remove a caveat lodged by a creditor under the Transfer of Land Act.
- Alea Pty Ltd v Hosking (Building and Property)  VCAT 1425 (20 September 2017) – Acted for a landlord of a retail premises in defending a claim brought by a tenant to repair the premises under the Retail Lease Act.
- Bachelor of Laws (Honours) - LLB (Hons)
- Bachelor of Commerce - BCom
- Supreme Court of Victoria - 2012
- High Court of Australia - 2012
- Member of the Law Institute of Victoria (Commercial Law Section Executive Committee and Sports Law Committee)
- Property Council of Australia – Victoria Division
- Tribunal Member of Football Federation Victoria
- Appeals Board Tribunal Member of Football Federation of Victoria
- Hungarian Lawyers’ Society